Global Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
As many of you are aware, new EU regulations surrounding the collection and use of the personal data and information of EU citizens comes into effect on May 25, 2018.
We want to explain what GDPR means, how it will affect the tourism and transportation businesses we work with and detail the steps we are taking to ensure our systems comply with these new standards.
GDPR affects ALL Zaui Customers
Not surprisingly, GDPR affects all Zaui customers that are based in the EU. However most, if not all of you welcome guests from around the globe, including citizens of the EU. As a tour, activity or transportation provider, you collect and store the personal data of your guests. Therefore in using Zaui, it is highly likely that you collect and store the data of EU citizens.
The GDPR seeks to give greater control to individuals over the data collected and processed by organizations. It empowers people with the right to know when personal data is being collected, the purpose for collection and the right to purge it upon request. We outline this in more detail here.
What is Zaui Software doing to prepare for GDPR?
Safeguarding your personal data, and helping you to safeguard your users’ is extremely important to us. Below are the steps we are taking to ensure we are compliant with these new regulations:
- Updating our Terms of Service
- Explicitly stating the reason for collecting information in all request forms, and specifying what it will be used for.
- Updating our employment contracts and conducting a training session so all Zaui Software employees are aware of these regulations
- Conducting a review of all the third-party organizations we work with in providing our services, to ensure they also have adequate measures in place to protect personal data.
How do I become compliant with GDPR in using Zaui?
The good news is you don’t have to do much! Zaui Software already gives you all the tools you need to be compliant with the GDPR within our systems.
The steps we are taking to ensure our customers are compliant with GDPR in using Zaui include:
- Require all guests making online bookings to read and agree with your policy and terms.
- Provide a means to quickly and safely delete customer data from your systems if you are requested to do so by any of your guests.
- Up-skill all our support team members to be able to assist you with any GDPR related questions you may have.
- If any of our staff notice behaviour in our systems that is an infringement on GDPR we will inform you (we are obliged to do so) of this infringement and assist you in becoming compliant.
Zaui Customers can check out our Support Article where we detail the steps to take in Zaui to be GDPR compliant.
How do I ensure my Business is compliant with GDPR?
We’ve got your GDPR bases covered for as far as your use of Zaui goes. However you need to think about GDPR in the context of your entire operation. Here we provide a GDPR readiness checklist for tour, activity and transportation operators.
Want more information about GDPR?
- Zaui’s GDPR Overview page
- GDPR Readiness checklist
- Zaui Support Resources:
- Contact Zaui Support
- GDPR Key Changes
- The full text GDPR Legislation
Please note that this information should not be considered legal advice. If you have any questions about how the GDPR legislation affects your business, you should consult with your attorney.