First of all, What is an SSL Certificate?
SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer and is a security technology which encrypts data as it travels across the internet, ensuring that private information like credit card numbers and login and password details remain secure. Without this, your customers’ information could be intercepted. You will recognize secure sites (or secure pages on websites) by their URL, lock symbol or green bar. These symbols give visual cues to help visitors know when their connection is secured:
So why should my Tourism Website have an SSL Certificate?
1. Give your Customers a Sense of Security
One of the most important components of any business which sells online is creating a trusted environment where potential customers feel confident in making purchases. All Zaui user systems and associated online booking engines are protected by SSL certificates.
2. Use Zaui’s or any other embedded/i-frame style online booking engine
Although all online bookings taken via your Zaui booking engine are SSL secured; if you are using the i-frame/embedded style, the URL is hidden from view. Visitors will only see your website URL (which links to the booking engine). In the example below, Zaui’s public website www.zaui.com, is secured by SSL, reassuring people that they can safely enter their credit card information.
3. Get a higher search ranking in Google
HTTPS sites are now given a ranking boost over HTTP sites. While having an SSL site still carries less weight in search rankings than traditional ranking factors, like high quality content, the change was made by Google to “encourage all website owners to switch from HTTP to HTTPS to keep everyone safe on the web.” Check out Google’s official post if you want to really get into the nitty gritty of this.
Okay so How do I Get an SSL Certificate?
There are three steps to getting an SSL certificate for your website:
- Buy a SSL certificate from a trusted SSL Vendor. Zaui Software recommends and uses Geotrust. However, you can also review your options on https://www.sslshopper.com/. Typically, there is an annual fee to obtain a certificate.
- Once issued, the SSL certificate will need to be installed on your server in order for the secure “HTTPS” connection to work. This is handled by your web developer/hosting company.
- Your web development company will need to configure your website in a way to make use of the secure connections when necessary (for example, when logging in or completing a purchase in your online store).
Zaui Customers wanting to learn more or get an SSL Certificate for their websites can contact Zaui Support for more information.