Happy Holidays! Since we are in the midst of the holiday season, we want to draw your attention to a powerful source of revenue tour and activity operators should be utilizing at this time of the year: Gift Certificates.
Gift cards and certificates now top the list of most requested holiday gift nine years in a row according to a cashstar.com survey. The key reasons for their popularity are they allow the recipient to select their own gift and they are easier and faster for the purchaser than buying a traditional gift. Additionally, benefiting the entire experience industry, giving these types of gifts rather than stuff has become increasingly popular, especially among younger people.
Below are 4 ways tour and activity operators can benefit from offering gift certificates:
- Stir up some holiday season excitement. Promoting your experience as a great gift provides a reason to get active on your media channels and talk about your company. Consider running a campaign where people can enter a draw to win a free tour or experience.
- Attract new customers. The recipient of a gift certificate may not have experienced your company before. If they enjoy their experience, they may well be back in the future, and recommending that friends and family check out your experience too.
- A source of low season revenue. AKA the time value of money. Gift certificates offer a great way to boost cash flow, particularly for tour companies in their quiet season. Gift certificate sales over the holiday season can provide a buffer until the new year when people start booking their spring and summer vacations and experiences. Additionally it is common for gift cards to generate more revenue than the face value – for example if the recipient invites another person or upgrades their tour.
- Lost or forgotten gift certificates. While this is more of a side-benefit, it is nonetheless noteworthy: Not all gift certificates that are sold will be redeemed, proving an easy source of revenue.
Marketing and Distribution
Here are some simple ways for marketing and distributing gift certificates:
- Leverage your mailing list. Send an attractive e-newsletter to previous customers, who may decide to give the gift of your experience to one of their loved ones.
- For the holiday season, highlight that you sell gift certificates through your website,with a clear call to action on how to purchase gift certificates online.
- Advertise via your social media channels through ads, promos and posts, as well as via traditional media in your local market, if applicable.
- Extend your reach by distributing your experience on gift card websites such as Cloud 9, Living, Truly Experiences, TicketMates or Breakaway Experiences.